Braised Chicken & Mushrooms
Chicken thighs braised in a mushroom gravy with thyme and a hint of rosemary and served over white rice – that’s one of my ultimate comfort food recipes. Don’t have thyme or rosemary? Skip it man, the gravy can stand on it’s own without them too!
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2lb chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large sprig rosemary
- 5 cups cooked white rice
- Season chicken on both sides by sprinkling with salt, pepper, paprika, and dried thyme.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat and enough oil to lightly coat the bottom. Sear the chicken ~ 3-4 minutes per side or until dark brown. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter, onions, and mushrooms to pan and cook ~ 7-10 minutes or until liquid is gone and mushrooms are browning. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add flour and stir (the mushrooms will begin to look clumpy). Stir in tomato paste and add to the clumpiness. Slowly stir in the broth and add rosemary sprig. Add chicken back to pan and any juices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer covered ~ 25-30 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until gravy is thickened.
- Serve over cooked rice and add a pretty little rosemary garnish if you have some. Happy Eating! Beckie
- If your gravy is not thickening, remove the cover and simmer at a slightly higher heat.
- If your gravy is too thick, stir in some more broth until desired thickness.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 12″ non stick pan – This is my favorite non-stick pan. It’s flat bottom holds ~ 8 chicken thighs (~ 2lb). It’s PFOA free, affordable, easy to clean, and comes with a lid.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Mushroom, Chicken, Chicken Thighs, Comfort Food, Rice, Braised