Slow Cooked Citrus Chicken
This tasty crockpot chicken recipe is based on a more complicated north African tagine cooked meal. Throw all the ingredients in a crock-pot, set on low 4-6 hours and dinner is done. If you don’t have a crockpot: throw all the ingredients into a stockpot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered ~ 45 minutes.
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 4 Hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Crockpot / Instapot / Braised
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- 2 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) diced oranges, seeds removed
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped as garnish
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, as garnish
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toast almonds on a baking sheet ~ 5-7 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add all ingredients, except cilantro and almonds, to a crock-pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve over Couscous. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sliced almonds. Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Wanna get fancy? Zest the oranges before you dice them and use the zest as a garnish.
- Don’t have time? Skip toasting the almonds and use them untoasted.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 6 quart Crockpot – For slow cookin’ this dish
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Citrus, Chicken, Dairy Free, Crockpot, Instant Pot, Braised