Thai Chicken Drums w/ Cilantro
Bone in, skin on chicken drumsticks recipe marinated in a Thai based cilantro & hoisin sauce – moist on the inside & crisp on the outside. Don’t like cilantro? Use parsley or kale instead. Don’t like fish sauce? Are you sure – it’s packed with flavor! If you’re sure – use soy sauce instead. Serve as an appetizer or a main dish with fresh Cucumber Salad
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 (2 each)
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Thai
- 3 1/2 lb bone in, skin on chicken drumsticks (~ 12)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 of 1 medium jalapeno, membranes, seeds, & stem removed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp cilantro, divided
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Finely mince 2 Tbsp cilantro for garnish. Trim any excess skin/fat off the chicken.
- Combine all ingredients, except chicken and 2 Tbsp finely minced cilantro, in a food processor and pulse until garlic & jalapeno are blended. I like it pulsed finely more than fully blended like a pesto (see picture). Arrange chicken in a baking dish and pour the marinade over it. Cover and marinate for at least 3 hours and/or up to 24 hours.
- Roast uncovered ~ 35 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165F. Check the chicken periodically. Some ovens run hot and the chicken may burn or the liquid may evaporate and burn. If this is the case: 1) add some water to the bottom of the pan if needed and/or cover the chicken / pan with foil if the inside is still not cooked but the top is beginning to burn.
- Rest ~ 5-10 minutes before eating – you don’t want to burn the roof of your mouth 🙂 Garnish with minced cilantro. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Food processor – This is an 8 cup food processor. TIP: make double for this recipe. Freeze 1/2 of it for later!
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Drumsticks, Bone In, Skin On, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo, Whole 30, Chicken, Cilantro, Marinade, Hoison Sauce, Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce