Mango Green Chiles with Guacamole
This is a great appetizer recipe but it’s also more balanced with a dinner of beans and rice. I cook this for friends, family, and clients and have never met anyone that didn’t like the sweet mango, melty cheese, flavorful peppers, & crisp skin. You can use a lot of different ingredients in the stuffing: beans, rice, corn, vegetables…. Bonus: They freeze super well – lay them out flat until frozen and then throw in a big ziploc bag. Reheat in microwave straight from frozen.
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 21 Wraps
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
Ingredient List Mango Green Chiles:
- 2 lb fresh Green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded & sliced OR 2lb Hatch Whole Green Chiles in a Can; drained & sliced
- 3 medium mangos, peeled & sliced
- 12 oz Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, grated
- one package (21 total) Egg Roll wrappers
- 1 egg yolk
- peanut oil for frying
Ingredient List Guacamole
- 2 avocado, pitted & peeled
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch garlic salt
- Open one package of egg roll wrappers – it’s faster if you have room to lay out 6-7 wrappers at a time (assembly production style) instead of making them one by one. The egg roll wrappers tend to dry out fast so use a damp paper towel to keep the main package moist while you are wrapping up the ones you are working with.
- On one of the diagonal edges of the wrapper (see pic above) lay down: 1) a layer of sliced or diced green chile 2) a slice or two of mango 3) a layer of cheese
- Wrap it up (instructions are on the Nasoya wrappers on how to wrap), by flipping the edges in and rolling up like a burrito. Seal the edge at the end lightly with water or raw mixed egg yolk.
- Bring a large heavy skillet (cast iron is preferred) to medium high heat and add 1″ of peanut oil. Lightly lay the chiles (seam side down) in the oil when it begins to sizzle. You’ll want a splatter guard for any oil popping up. Reduce the heat so that it is frying and bubbling lightly and cooking the wrapper all the way through while lightly browning the outside. Flip as needed every 1-2 minutes to brown all sides.
- If the oil is popping and freaking you out then turn the heat down. If you are looking for a healthier option, you can always bake at 350F on a lined and oiled pan for ~ 15-17 minutes or until brown, flipping chiles once.
- For Guacamole – mix & mash all ingredients together in a bowl.
Serve Mango Green Chiles with Guacamole and Beans and Rice or just on it’s own. Let them cool down – they are hot as hell. Lick your lips and fingers and dig in. So good! Beckie
- Forgot to get the egg? Use water – it won’t be as sticky but it will work in a pinch.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Splatter guard – For protecting my face, hands, and stove from greaste splatters.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Green Chili, Mangos, Guacamole, Comfort Food, Eggroll Wrappers