Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
My mom used to make a sausage & cheese stuffed mushroom recipe similar to this on very special occasions. I thought we were the luckiest kids ever when she was cooking these….
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 (4 each)
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 1lb mushrooms, stems removed & reserved
- mushroom stems, diced
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb ground Italian Sausage
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 oz (~ 1/2 cup) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 oz ( ~ 1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped as garnish
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Remove the stem from mushrooms, dice stems only, and set aside. Lightly oil a small baking dish and add the whole mushrooms in a single tight layer, cavity facing up.
- Bring a large pan on the stovetop to medium high heat, add a little oil to lightly cover the pan (~ 2 tsp) and add sausage, onions, and mushroom stems. Break up sausage with back of spoon or fork and cook ~ 7-10 minutes or until cooked through. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Reduce heat to low and add bread crumbs, both cheeses, salt and pepper. Stir together and remove from heat when cheese is melted.
- Spoon a bit of the mixture into each mushroom. Bake uncovered ~ 40-45 minutes or until stuffing is browned and crusty. Add sea salt to taste and sprinkle with parsley. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Pulverize older bread in a food processor if you don’t want to buy bread crumbs. We always save our old bread in the freezer for this reason.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Cheese grater – the 6 sides give you lots of options for slicing, shredding, or grating vegetables and cheeses.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Stuffed Mushrooms, Mushrooms, Sausage, Holidays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Comfort Food, Cheese