Get ready to settle in with this total comfort food meatloaf recipe. So easy to make and consistently blows my mind with how simple & satisfying it is. Slice thin and eat with a fried egg in the morning if there are any leftovers.
Some folks will saute their veggies before adding it to the raw meat. I have done versions both ways and don’t taste the difference UNLESS you don’t get your veggies minced small enough. If you make big dices or chunks of the onions, and celery, then you will need to saute them in oil for 4-6 minutes first.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Ingredient List Meatloaf:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs or instant oatmeal
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Ingredient List Sauce:
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- For the sauce: mix the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard in a bowl and set aside.
- For the meatloaf: In a small pan: Saute the onions & celery in a touch of warm olive oil for 4-6 minutes or until soft.
- Mix together all meatloaf ingredients and place in a baking dish (see notes below if you don’t have a baking dish)
- Bake the meatloaf for ~50 minutess or until juices run clear (not pink or red). Slather with sauce and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and browning. Let rest 15 minutes. Serve with extra sauce on the side. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Make little mini meatloafs instead of one large one. They are so cute in individual serving sizes and will cook faster. Check them after 35-40 minutes to see if they are done.
- Gluten free? Pulverize instant oats in the food processor – Affordable workhorse food processor for grating, slicing, & chopping. and use that instead of bread crumbs.
- Don’t have a meatloaf pan? Form an “even” loaf with your hands and place on an aluminum lined baking sheet – 13 x 18 and two of them to boot. Perfect for roasting any vegetable. (no oil needed). You don’t want the loaf to be tapered at the end as it will not cook evenly.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Meatloaf baking dish – A sweet little baking dish for meatloaf
- Baking Sheets – 13 x 18 and two of them to boot. Baking sheets are perfect when you don’t want one more kitchen accessory like a meatloaf dish.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Meatloaf, Beef, Gluten Free, Dinner, Dairy Free