Eggplant Parmesan W/ Zoodles
This eggplant parmesan with zoodles recipe isn’t the fastest dinner to make but it’s so delicious. It’ll make enough for 6 so freeze a couple portions for later if you don’t want to eat leftovers. Properly roasted eggplant tastes like candy to me – make sure it’s cooked all the way or you will not have as good of an eggplant parmesan. So rich and sweet. Pictured is a bunch of different kinds of local eggplant, but any eggplant at the grocery store will do.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 (1 lb) eggplants, peeled & sliced 1/2″ thick
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 28 oz pasta sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 mozzarella balls, sliced
- 3 large zucchini, spiralized
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray or oil.
- Make eggplant: Dip peeled & sliced eggplant into a shallow dish of beaten raw eggs and immediately dip into a shallow dish of breadcrumbs. Shake off any excess clumpy crumbs. Place eggplant on baking sheet (~ 1″ between slices). Bake ~ 30-40 minutes (turning once) or until brown & tender.
- Lightly oil or spray a baking dish. Spoon 1/2 cup pasta/tomato sauce into a 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Layer cooked eggplant slices over sauce. Top with 3/4 cup pasta sauce and top with 1/3 of shredded mozzarella & 1/3 of Parmesan. Repeat layer again. You should have ~ 1 cup of tomato sauce remaining for the final layer. End with tomato sauce, grated mozzarella, Parmesan and sliced mozzarella (sliced mozzarella is only for the top exposed layer).
- Bake ~ 40 minutes covered in foil. Remove Foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- Spiralize zucchini into noodles/zoodles.
- Top with fresh basil leaves and serve over fresh raw zoodles or cooked spaghetti. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Cheese not browning fast enough? Put the oven on a low broil and cook ~ 3-6 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure it’s not burning.
- I wanted more cheese the next day when I warmed it up and threw on some feta that we had leftover – it was DELICIOUS. Don’t be afraid to get rid of some random cheese hanging out in your ‘fridge!
Things In My Kitchen:
- Spiralizer – This turns veggies into noodles y’all! Don’t buy some little hand held thing – you will regret it unless you’re cooking for one.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Zucchini Noodles, Zoodles, Eggplant, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Keto, Lasagna, Casserole