Mixed Vegetable Curry
Lots of steps in Indian cooking. This mixed vegetable curry recipe was adapted from Camellia Panjabi’s Book – “50 Great Curries of India” . It’s an awesome book! Just remember to not be afraid to modify if you don’t have absolutely everything in the recipe. It might not taste exactly as the original recipe, but it will still be a delicious meal that you created out of ingredients that you have on hand!
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups onions, sliced & divided
- 1/4 cup diced red fresno chiles
- 1 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 3/4 lb potatoes, diced
- 10 ounces (1 medium) eggplant, diced
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups (~ 30 oz) coconut milk
- 10 ounces broccoli, chopped into bite size florets
- 3/4 lb green beans, trimmed
- 3 green onions, sliced as garnish
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat and add enough vegetable oil to lightly coat (~ 2 Tbsp). Add 1 1/2 cups onions and cook ~ 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add red chiles, coriander, mustard, fenugreek seeds, cumin, ground cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, turmeric, paprika. Cook ~ 1-2 minutes or until fragrant and transfer to a food processor. Blend with 1 cup water until smooth.
- In the same pan as the spices. Bring pan to medium high heat and add enough vegetable oil to lightly coat (~ 2 Tbsp). Add 1 cup onions and cook ~ 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant ~ 1 -2 minutes. Add ginger and the mixture from the food processor.
- Add potatoes, eggplant, salt, & coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook ~ 20 minutes. Add broccoli and green beans and water if the vegetables are not covered in liquid. Cover & cook on low ~ 5 minutes or until all vegetables are to desired tenderness.
- Serve over jasmine over rice or cauliflower rice. Top with sliced green onions. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- 16 x 12 x .75 Teak Cutting Board – sourced from sustainably managed plantations and has grooves to catch run-off juices.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Curry, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Vegan, Vegetables, Indian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free