Perfect Roasted Chicken
This easy roasted chicken recipe produces incredible favor, crispy skin, and tender meat. This method is true dry roasting and not cooking the chicken through any liquid or steam. If you want to up your game, add some carrots, celery, potatoes, and herbs and make it a one pot meal. Lightly olive oil, salt, and pepper the veggies and stir 30 minutes in (continue to cook the veggies until the chicken is done). Keep the chicken elevated if you want it to stay crispy as possible.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 3 1/2 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450F.
- Thoroughly dry the inside and outside of a 3 – 3 1/2 lb whole chicken with paper towels. You can do this the day before and let sit in your refrigerator uncovered to get it drier.
- Salt and pepper the inside and truss the chicken. Trussing helps the chicken to cook more evenly and creates a tight little bundle. If you don’t want to attempt this then just tie the two legs together with kitchen twine.
- Add sea salt to the outside of the chicken. Don’t be shy. This salt will create a tasty crunchy skin. Season lightly with pepper.
- Place the chicken on a baking rack. Some people use roasting pans and that’s fine but you’re really trying to promote even air circulation under the bird and not wanting to bury it in a pan. You also want to elevate it over any drippings so it’s not steaming in it’s own fat.
- Cook (roast if you got it) uncovered for ~1 hour. Check on the temperature (chicken should be 165F) and color ~ 45 minutes in. Don’t baste it – just leave it alone to roast. Let rest ~ 15 minutes uncovered before carving.
- Add sea salt to taste and serve with sharp mustard. Happy Eating! Beckie
- If you have an oven that doesn’t roast or cook properly then you will want to baste with butter to expedite the browning process.
- Save the bones and make my awesome chicken bone broth recipe!
Things In My Kitchen:
- Kitchen twine – wrap that bird up!
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Roast Chicken, Perfect Roasted Chicken, Whole Chicken Roasted, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo, Keto, Whole 30, Easy Dinners